Here are a few observations from my day (24 hours) of silence:
- Most of what we say and think does not mean anything and is superfluous. That includes my own thoughts of course…
- My wife speaks less when I don’t respond…
- My teenage son thought it was an interesting experiment when we talked about it before, but he did not like the experience of me being silent.
- I found a heightened awareness of what was going on around me and of my own thoughts.
- I found it frustrating to not be able to influence and control others!
This was a 24-hour experiment that I did in spite of having my family around me, despite it being a perfectly normal weekday. I am going to repeat the silence for a longer interval, but for that I will schedule time when I know I will be alone most of the time.
Finally, the experience triggered a memory of a song…
Silence is golden, but my eyes still see
Silence is golden, golden, but my eyes still see
Talking is cheap people follow like sheep
Even though there is no where to go